Online Identities and Creating an Avatar

Lately, I’ve been thinking about identity and what makes us unique and how does this translate when we are in the virtual world.  Identity can be very fluid and changeable.  Avatars are the little online images that represent us in the digital world.   

In the next few weeks, I’d like everyone to reflect on the digital world and our online identity.  Sometimes our online identity can be totally different to what we are like in real life.  We can pretend and be imaginative but of course we always have to be careful that we don’t violate any social rules of the worlds and networking sites that we are participating in.  We always want to behave in a way that will make us proud not ashamed of who we are.

However, as you know anyone can say anything they want to online and pretend to be what they are not in order to take advantage of other people.  Unfortunately, whether in the real world or the digital world there are always unscrupulous  people – people you have to be careful about.  So you mustn’t be too trusting online and remember to follow all the safety precautions such as not giving out private information such as your real name, address, birthday etc. 

If you look on the side of this blog I’ve been having fun with a Voki Avatar and creating a special spooky character for Halloween.  Of course that’s not really me unless that’s a real green shimmer I detect on my skin.   I have tried to disguise my voice a little bit but I’ve used the avatar to have a bit of fun and create a Halloween character as it’s October. 

Task:

I would like everyone to have a go at creating an avatar.  Next, have your avatar read a review or part of your favourite book.  You might check out the Horror section and create your own Halloween character too.

Please note, as the computers in the LRC don’t have a microphone you will have to use the text to speech facility which means you type the words you want your character to say.

To begin, click on the Voki word to take you to the Voki site.

You don’t have to sign up to create an avatar.

If you do sign up, remember to use the school email and a nickname.

Then you can create the character and save it.

And most importantly have fun! 🙂