Term 3

Year 7 Spine Poetry

2013 – Year 7 SPINE POETRY
Have you ever thought about the effort that goes into creating the title of books? Obviously, the words have to be carefully chosen so that they appeal to readers and just like poetry there is a little bit of word magic involved.

Sometimes, the words on the spine give you clues about what the story is about, some titles are playful and others sound amazing and irresistible, capturing strong emotions or painting pictures in the readers’ minds.

In this session, we would like year 7s to have some fun. This is a session we did last year with great success so we don’t want you to miss out! Have a look at the display board to see some of the best poems. In pairs or small groups, choose 5 to 10 books and stack them to create a thought poem. You may have something in mind, a topic or theme and go looking for titles of books that will work for you or you might discover and explore titles and match them as you go.

Have a look at this Spine Poem Gallery by Travis.

I had a go with some books that were lying around at home. See the picture below. A bit intense, but a nice effort don’t you think.

Once you are satisfied, capture your spine poems on a camera. We’ll use them to decorate the LRC for Book Week in Week 6!

"Spine Poem - Terrible Times"

Year 8 – PASSION PROJECT

In this session I want to share two tools with you:  Evernote/Evernote web clipper and Flickr Search and Stamp.

EVERNOTE

Having difficulty getting organised why not try Evernote and Evernote web clipper?

Evernote is a free tool which allows you to keep all your files and documents together and stay organized.  You can compose documents and collect information from anywhere and keep everything stored into a single place. From text notes to web pages to files to pictures, everything is always at your fingertips and you can sync between devices so that you have total flexibility.  You can log in and use your files from the internet wherever you are.  In short, it is a digital shoe box somewhere where you can store everything and come back to it later when you need the information.

Evernote web clipper  helps you save anything you see online to your notebooks.  In the project below I have saved an article and a pdf from the RSPCA.  This tool makes it really easy when it is time to create a reference list  as it always keeps a link to the original website.

Have a look at the notebook I created for the beginnings of My Passion Project which I have shared with you:  https://www.evernote.com/pub/mpapaz/passionproject

Personally, I did find something a little confusing about Evernote at the start.  There is the Evernote that is on your computer and then the web version which you have to sign into.  Switching between versions takes a bit of practice.  Syncing and saving happens automatically so that’s really handy and trust me, you do get used to it in time.   The more you explore the tools the more useful you will find Evernote. You will never lose that important information again if you assign good tags or key words to all your files which are called notes and organise your notes into folders which are called notebooks.  For example:  you could have a notebook for each subject.  You could also have a notebook for stuff that is of personal interest to you such as a hobby etc.

Now for the next tool…

FLICKR SEARCH AND STAMP

Just because it is on the internet doesn’t mean you have permission to use it.  Many of the pictures on the internet are protected by copyright.  If you do use someone else’s work of course you must always acknowledge this.

The video below ‘Credit is Due’ demonstrates the importance of acknowledging sources.  You don’t want to look like a fool or have your reputation besmirched right?

So I want to share a tool with you.  It is called Flickr Search and Stamp by John Johnston and it is created with students in mind so that you can use pictures with the confidence that the owners have given permission and also the citation is done automatically for you.  As soon as you select and save the photo with the click of the save button you will also have the owners’ stamp on the photo image. This is really a great convenience and takes the angst out of referencing.

TASKS

1.  Download and explore Evernote and the Evernote Web Clipper bookmarklet.  Have a look at the Evernote I have started: https://www.evernote.com/pub/mpapaz/passionproject. Create a notebook for your project.  Remember to protect your privacy.  Use your school email when signing up.  If you already use OneNote that’s fine but have a look at Evernote and see if you find it useful.

2.  Find some pictures using Flickr Search and Stamp for your Passion Project.  Save some suitable pictures into your notebook.

3.  Here is a Self Assessment Rubric for your Passion Project:  Passion_Project_Rubric_–_Self_Final(2).  Make sure you hand this in with your final project.  Save a copy onto your computer.  Better still add it to your Evernote Workbook like I did!!!