Welcome Back in Term 1

Sharing My Holiday Reading

I was reminded that one of the things readers do is share information about their reading.

I read a considerable number of books.

Some of my favorites were:

1. Slated by Teri Terry (Mystery & Crime) (Dystopian)

What happens when you are sixteen and all of your memories have been wiped and you have been given a new family  and have to learn everything from the start?  It’s called being slated and you have to wear a Levo that monitors your moods.

What a frightening vision of the future.  Can you trust the government which tells you this has been done to you because you were either a criminal or a terrorist and this is for your own good and the only way to give you a fresh start?  This is what happens to Kyla.

A great thriller you won’t be able to put down and the first of the series that will have you wanting to read more.

If you love the Hunger Games or the Divergent series then you have to try Slated.

2.  The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd (Mystery & Crime)

When Salim goes missing from the London Eye, which is like a giant ferris wheel in the city of London, his cousins Ted and Kat work together to crack the mystery.  Ted the narrator is not your ordinary thinker.  He puts his brain together to find the answer.  You will love reading this mystery and I wonder if you can solve the case before Ted does?  Happily the case also brings him closer to his sister who has not always understood and appreciated the different way he thinks. So the book celebrates people and is also about accepting people who are different.

3.  Amulet by Kazu Kibuishi (Graphic Novel)

After their father’s tragic death, Emily and Navin and their mother inherit an old ancestral home.  Their mother is kidnapped by a tentacled creature and Emily discovers a mysterious amulet which also forms a part of her strange inheritance.  There’s a lot to figure out about this strange world and even more interesting strange creatures.  The images are beautiful and even though I have not read many graphic novels the story was really easy to follow.