WHAT IS THE READERS’ CUP?
The Readers' Cup is a fun competition which rewards students for reading.
At Dandenong High School, this is an exciting competition exclusively for year 8s.
Groups of 4 to 6 students form a team. One team is entered from each House. Students then read books and prepare a creative response to one of the books.
There are many prizes including an individual gold, silver and bronze medal for the winners and the champion team has their competitors’ names engraved on a plaque on the perpetual trophy.
We have fantastic teacher judges and a brilliant host who gives away many prizes to everyone.
All students from every year level and House and teachers too are welcome to be in the audience to support their House team.
AUDIENCE CAN WIN FANTASTIC PRIZES!
WIN! Win! Come along for the chance to win a fantastic prize! In 2016, loyalty cards will be continued so that students who attend all 3 lunchtime sessions can go into a draw for a fantastic prize yet to be decided. Last year an iPod touch was given away . So make sure you don’t miss out. New prizes will be given!
We have some amazing teams this year. Come and support them.
And may the best House win!
Dates: Term 3, Week 2, Wednesday 20th July, Thursday 21st July and Friday, 22nd July at Lunchtime in the LRC.
Books: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul by Jeff Kinney & Rangers’ Apprentice: The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan
Checklist for participants:
Have we read both books?
Have we come up with a fun creative name for our team?
Have we organized a fun poster?
Have we prepared our creative response and did we check the criteria?2015 invitation rules
CREATIVE RESPONSE – Use ICT to add creativity – Consider one of these:
- Wallwisher or Glogster – Create an A-Z of the novel
- Glogster – Make and explain a poster
- GoAnimate – Character interviews
- ToonDoo – Character interviews
- Animoto – Make a book trailer
- Historypin or Google Maps – Create an interactive map with pictures and details
- Audioboo – Compose a song or rap
- Scratch or GameSalad – Create a video game
- Animoto or Photopeach or Shadow Puppet – Create a professional slideshow discussing themes and characters
- Face Talk – Interview a character or author, add a bit of humor with this app and make photos talk
- Puppet Pals 2 – Imagine and create a new ending or scene using this fun animation program
- Kahoot! – Design a game for students to play. Explain how you tried to incorporate powerful themes and character elements into your game.
- Skype – Pretend to live Skype with the author.
- Fakebook – Create imaginary profile pages for your characters
- Storybird – Write from a different character’s point of view. Add a new adventure. Tell the story your way.
- Little Bird Tales – Give voice to your creativity using this program.
PRIVACY: Remember when signing up for social networking sites or internet sites like the above to protect your privacy:
- Don’t give out private information such as your date of birth, address etc.
- Use your school email
- Use only your first name or a nickname
- Don’t give out information that will identify you
- If not sure, ask a teacher or your parents first